The Forum

Filed under Features

Editor-in-Chief Signing Off: the Final Farewell

This journalism class has been a second home to me and The Forum staff, a second family. For the past 4 years, The Forum has gained new members as well as watched old ones fly the coop. Freshman year, I walked into Mrs. Barrett’s class unsure of what lay ahead and unaware of the journey I would go through while on staff.

I began to know my classmates and became accepted into the Forum family. After the first year, my journalistic writing skills improved and I started to break through my initial shyness during interviews. Sophomore year brought new challenges as I was promoted to editor of the Entertainment section and started learning the tasks of the Layout Editor. At the end of the year, Mrs. Barrett announced that Krista Smith and I would be Co-Editors in Chief for my junior year, along with the news that she would no longer be teaching journalism. Mrs. Barrett was a wonderful mentor and encouraged me to continue a career in writing, so knowing that I would no longer have her as our teacher was upsetting, though I knew her door was always open.

Krista and I wanted to be prepared to face the new year, so we brainstormed ideas for the future of the newspaper at North Hall. I realized that switching to an online platform would be more cost effective and offer us new opportunities that would take the newspaper to the next level. With Ms. Brown as our new teacher and an entirely new program to learn, I stepped up to the challenge and successfully brought our newspaper into the digital age.

Krista would graduate after that year and I would become Editor in Chief of the paper for my senior year. It wasn’t until two weeks before the first day of school that I learned Ms. Brown had left and that a new teacher would be teaching journalism. To be honest, I was nervous to see who would be stepping into the Forum family, but once I talked with Ms. Sullens, all of my uncertainty washed away. I knew she would be a great teacher that challenged and encouraged us to become amazing journalists. We’ve encountered some difficulty from outside parties to say the least, but we persevered. This year flew by so fast that it’s sad to think that I will be leaving this wonderful class as I venture off to college.

The Forum has taught me both writing skills and life lessons that I will carry with me for the rest of my life, and I’m proud to have been on staff for the entirety of my high school career. This is the last edition I will write for as a high school student, but the future looks bright. I wish my Forum family luck with their future editions, and can’t wait to see what will become of the journalism class that will always be my home away from home.

Senya later,

Alison Meek

• Editor-in-Chief Signing Off: the Final Farewell

Features

Seven Summer Essentials

Features

Ms. Wells Ventures Off to Costa Rica

Features

“Mamma Don’t Worry” About Charli’s First EP

Columns

Sweet & Chilled Recipes for the Spring and Summer

Student Life

Senior Last Wills and Testaments: Class of 2018

Student Life

Picking a Roommate: Do’s and Don’ts

Features

Seven Summer Essentials

• Columns

Organization Tips with Nat: Senior Sign Off

Entertainment

God’s Not Dead (A Light in the Darkness) Exceeds Expectations

Entertainment

Truth or Dare: Movie Review

The student news site of North Hall High School