The student news site of North Hall High School

The Forum

Filed under Opinions

Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Alannis Alvira wearing athletic Nike shorts, which to the school board is deemed as “unacceptable”.

The words “dress code”can make a woman go from feeling like a queen in the dressing room to feeling depressed in seconds. Originally, dress codes were created to keep students from wearing inappropriate attire, but now it seems to only stop women from buying what they love and lower their self esteem. Women and girls are made to feel ashamed for how they are dressed, because of school policies.

At North Hall, and many other high schools across the nation, you are given  an agenda to use for keeping up with assignments, and review school rules and policies. If you check the North Hall agenda, you will find the dress code policy on page five.

It states, “students are expected to dress in a manner that is not DISRUPTIVE to the school’s learning environment.”

So, what the school board is saying, is that every time a woman’s dress coded, she is disrupting the school’s learning environment. Every time a teacher dress codes a woman, they are indirectly telling them that they are “provocative” or a “tease”. Women are not objects, they are human beings who deserve to be respected as such. Most of the time when a teacher dress codes a student, they call them out, mock their morals, their parents’ parenting skills, and look down on them as though they don’t deserve to be respected.

The dress code is a double standard,  because men have fewer policies to follow and don’t get in trouble even if they are breaking code. Women are forced to follow a policy that disrespects them on a daily basis, while men don’t have to even bat an eye.

As shown in the dress code policy for girls in Hall County, “ examples of inappropriate dress are: miniskirts, short shorts, or leggings with shorts tops, midriff tops, tank tops, see-tops.”

Women have a variety of clothing they are not allowed to wear, but the only thing men can’t wear are gang related or inappropriate words on their shirt. Women are taken out of class, and losing their education so that a man can not be “distracted” and is allowed to continue learning. They are clearly stating that a man’s education is more important than a women’s. Society needs to stop putting women’s education behind a man’s and maybe teach men to not treat women like objects.

Sean Cowan, North Hall alum, gives his opinion on the topic, “I think dress code is gender biased. I wore gym shorts and shorts above my knee to school and never got coded. I think if a guy can wear shorts and feel comfortable then so should everyone”.

Women should not be taught by adults, that their bodies are a distraction and should be covered up. Women have a right to wear clothes that they feel comfortable in just as men do.

“I feel like everytime I’m dress coded, the administration is treating me like I’m an object, and not a human. My thighs should not distract men to where I can’t learn.” – Alannis Alvira, grade 11.

• Opinions

HoCo Do’s & Dont’s

• Opinions

Banish Bullying

• Opinions

Exam Exemption Eliminated

• Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Student Life

Hector’s Sword Has Fallen

• Opinions

HoCo Do’s & Dont’s

• Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Entertainment

October 2017 Horoscopes

• Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Entertainment

Kesha’s Comeback

• Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

News

Numbers in the News

• Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Student Life

Heard it in the Hallway: Freshmen Edition

• Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Features

Fall Festival For a Cause

Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?