The student news site of North Hall High School

The Forum

Banish Bullying

Hannah Souder, Writer

Bullying takes place everywhere in school. It can happen in the hallways, before or after school, class changes, during lunch, and in bathrooms. No place is safe from bullies, even when adults are nearby. According to the National Education Association,it is estimated that 160,000 children miss school every day due to the fear of attack or intimidation by other students.

Indirect bullying happens very often in high school. This type of bullying occurs when false information, mean words, and threats are being spread around about someone.

When being bullied, victims rarely report anything to an adult, because victims find it hard to get witnesses to come forward. In these cases, witnesses don’t want to get involved for fear of being bullied themselves.

Verbal and cyberbullying often go unnoticed because there is no physical contact, but they are just as bad as any other type of bullying.

Although some people see bullying as “just a part of being a kid,” it is a serious problem that leads to many negative effects for victims, including suicide. According to the Center of Disease and Control, suicide is the third leading cause of death among young adults, resulting in 4,400 deaths per year. As in AJC said “More middle schoolers die by suicide than car accidents.” A study at Yale University indicated that over fourteen percent of high school students have considered ending their lives and almost seven percent attempt it.

I believe that  the first step in taking control is for the victim to seek help. There is still hope for schools to make a tremendous change in how they deal with bullying. Moving forward, the first step in taking action is to make the consequences more severe when a student gets bullied. In North Hall High school there are bully strikes, and once you get three, bullies are kicked out (sometimes).For every bully strike given, the person gets three days of out of school suspension. Some students are aware that there have been multiple students who had reached three strikes that haven’t been kicked out of school.

This lack of punishment tells everyone that it is okay to bully someone and there will not be any consequences. When school policies are not being followed, students will begin to handle the problems themselves and fight back. I believe as our school should enforce stricter rules when it comes to bullying.  

Banish Bullying