The student news site of North Hall High School

The Forum

Filed under Opinions

Exam Exemption Eliminated

As of this school year, Hall County Schools no longer allows any kind of exam exemption. Exam exemption was originally put in place to help improve attendance county-wide. However, the county now says that they saw no improvement from before and during exam exemption. The long standing rule was that in each class if you had an 85 or above average and five or less absences, you were exempt from the exam in that certain class.

Personally, as a student who makes good grades and tries her best to succeed and do well this is highly upsetting. If a student has put in the effort to succeed in the classroom all year, why challenge them with a  final exam that could, in turn, hurt their grades. Due to the high amount of testing in every course, there is no need for a student to have more added stress with yet another exam that does not benefit him or her. For example, this year if a student is taking AP United States History this year, they will not only take the AP test, but also the EOC. Why is it necessary for the students who have dedicated and challenged herself/himself enough with all the work that comes with an AP class to take another final exam?

While the county does seem to believe attendance was not helped, I believe they were wrong. To many students, exam exemption was an incentive to get out of bed in the morning, knowing that they were promised a shorter school year. Now, with this incentive gone, there really is nothing stopping students from missing school at every chance they get. While it is understandable where the county is coming from, it was a decision that has negatively affected many hardworking students county-wide. 

Do you think North Hall should allow exam exemption?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Exam Exemption Eliminated