The student news site of North Hall High School

The Forum

Filed under News

The Charlottesville Riots That Started a War

Women+holding+sign+of+Heather+Heyer%2C+who+was+tragically+killed+by+Alex+Fields+on+August+12th.+Photo+taken+during+New+York+protest%2C+Aug.+15.+
Women holding sign of Heather Heyer, who was tragically killed by Alex Fields on August 12th. Photo taken during New York protest, Aug. 15.

China Xinhua News

China Xinhua News

A devastating riot took place on Aug. 11 in Charlottesville Va. White nationalist were angered due to plans being made to take a Confederate statue down. The night before the massive riots, the nationalist group, or “Alt-Right”, group had a torch-lit pre-rally march the night before which ended in violence and the death of Heather Heyer. The nationalist group then decided to march on Saturday August 12th, with what they called “Unite the Right”.

Hundreds of the white nationalist group members showed their faces on Saturday chanting Nazi slogans, wearing KKK clothing, and spewing their strong held beliefs on others. Counter protesters showed up in large numbers to fight back against the white nationalist group.

The feud between the two groups quickly turned into violence. A man named Deandre Harris, who was attending the event as a counter-protester, was brutally beaten by a few members of the white nationalist group, and suffered a concussion, ulnar fracture, laceration across his eyebrow, abrasions to knees and elbows, and a chipped tooth.

“They could have killed my son,” his mother Felicia Harris told Charlottesville’s News 3.

With the violence only growing, a devastating event took place. When white nationalist James Alex Fields Jr. drove a car through counter-protesters, he killed 32-year-old Heather Heyer, and injured 19 others.

Gillmore, who witnessed the accident, told NBC News, “And then it reversed back into the street, dragging bodies and clothes, It was very clearly intentional.”

Fields was taken into custody moments after the incident. He was charged with second degree murder for the death of Heyer, three counts of malicious wounding, and failing to stop at the scene of a crash that resulted in death.

Many believed the cops did nothing to help calm the protest and let the violence happen. By the end of the protest three people were dead, with a helicopter crash killing two state troopers, and at least 33 injured.

After the riots, Trump stated, “There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for the country, but there are two sides to a story.”

Protesters gathered along 59th St. and 5th Ave. in New York in response to Trump’s words said after the Charlottesville Riots. Once he arrived, the streets were filled with protesters shouting , “New York hates you”, “Dump Trump” ,and “Black Lives Matter”. The protesters were soon pushed back, but they felt they needed to be heard.

• The Charlottesville Riots That Started a War

News

Numbers in the News

• News

Hall County Schools React to Hurricane Irma

Student Life

Hector’s Sword Has Fallen

• Opinions

HoCo Do’s & Dont’s

Entertainment

October 2017 Horoscopes

Entertainment

Kesha’s Comeback

News

Numbers in the News

Opinions

Dress Code: Fair or Sexist?

Student Life

Heard it in the Hallway: Freshmen Edition

Features

Fall Festival For a Cause